Iodine is a mineral found in most diets, though some foods are richer in it than others. It’s essential to our overall health and is especially important for thyroid regulation. Things to know about eating iodine.
The amount of iodine in each food depends on the cultivation site and the manufacturing process. The iodine can be found in raw natural seaweed, cod, milk, shrimp, tuna, eggs, prunes or nuts Lima (Lima Bean) or a salt iodized sold online by the body at different ages would need iodine.
In different amounts each day as follows.
- Children aged 1-8 years should get about 90 micrograms of iodine.
- Children aged 9-13 years should get about 120 micrograms of iodine.
- Adults should get about 150 micrograms of iodine.
Pregnant and breastfeeding people should receive about 220 micrograms of iodine, as iodine is involved in embryo development, fetal growth and brain development.
This ensures that the body receives adequate amounts of iodine for the body’s needs.
You should plan your eating iodine according to the following guidelines.
- Eat all 5 food groups with dairy products. Seaweed or eggs
- Eat whole grains and high-fiber foods to provide a variety of nutrients.
- Eat 2-3 seafood meals a week. And may be supplemented with beneficial fish oil But be careful to eat certain types of fish or seafood that may be contaminated with high levels of mercury. Especially in those who wish to become pregnant or who are pregnant.
- Always consult your doctor before taking iodine as a dietary supplement. This can be dangerous if the body receives excessive amounts of iodine.
The dangers of getting too much iodine
Eating too much iodine can result in inflammation of the thyroid gland and thyroid cancer. In addition, consuming large amounts of iodine per session may cause burning in the mouth, throat and stomach, fever, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, light pulse, or coma. May be different according to the original disease of each person as well.
Benefit of Iodine. There are many nutrients that the body needs, whether it is vitamins or minerals, so you must not forget to eat healthy foods. Exercise regularly Maintain your weight within the standard Get adequate rest and get rid of the stress that arises. If an abnormality occurs on the body Always see a doctor before the symptoms are severe.
Mineral that is no less essential than other minerals because it is an essential component in the production of thyroid hormones. Which is necessary for the function of various organs and growth Fetal metabolism and development Iodine is found in many foods.
Indeed, intake of iodine in amounts less than 100 micrograms can actually be the leading cause of death in newborns. Interferes with growth. The brain and nervous system development of children Causing health problems. Like mental retardation in children Goiter and hypothyroidism in adults. Reproductive system failure or fluid retention, so eating foods rich in iodine can help prevent these symptoms and problems.